Tuesday, June 8, 2010

You are MAYBE a dick

I have a pet peeve.

If you've ever RSVPed to anything I've ever done, you probably know what this is...

Maybe.

We live in a culture of MAYBE. I blame Facebook. It wasn't until FB decided that "Maybe" was an acceptable RSVP that people started using it like gasoline.

Holy fuckballs.

Slow down, people! We are not in a race to use up all the fucking "maybes"!

Do you know what happens when you say "maybe" to an event? You look like a prick.

"Hey best friend since we met on the playground in third grade! I'm getting married three months and four days from now at 7pm! I want you to be my Maid of Honor!"

"Oh. Um. Maybe."

What? Really? What the fuck, lady?

Why "maybe" makes you look like an asshole:
1) This is what you say when you know for sure you aren't going to attend an event, but you don't want to look like a douche. Invariably, you end up looking like a bigger douche because you are not only giving a false sense of "yes", but you're also blatantly lying. "My kitten's funeral is tomorrow, can you come?" "Oh, er, maybe..." And you think you can just avoid the dead kitten's mother until after the funeral when you can make some sorry excuse like your OWN kitten died!
2) You're essentially saying "I'll be there, UNLESS something better comes along." Wow. I feel important to you. Unless, say, your girlfriend decides it's a good night for anal sex, you're going to come to my birthday party. Awesome.
3) You're really saying "my time is WAY more important than your time." Why? Well, when I'm planning an event, there are a lot of factors. Maybe food. Maybe parking. Alcohol, of course. Fire safety. All of these things need to be considered. When you say "maybe" as a place holder, you want me to count you - I am getting your share of food, booze, and fire code. But you might not show up. What do I do, then? Find someone else?

You know what? If I invite you to an event of mine, don't say "maybe" unless you mean it. Unless you have something tentative planned. Maybe your mom is having a family reunion that week, but she hasn't decided the day yet. She has priority because she was FIRST!

Really, just say no. Straight up. Frankly, if you ever say "maybe" to me, I count you as a "no" anyway.

1 comment:

  1. TGI joined blogspot, so I can now comment.

    I still maintain that this is an excellent post.

    ReplyDelete